|Author||Dash, Gopal Krishna ♦ Radhakrishnan, A. ♦ Kesavadas, C. ♦ Abraham, M. ♦ Sarma, P. S. ♦ Radhakrishnan, K.|
|Source||Sree Chitra Tirunal Institute for Medical Sciences & Technology|
|Publisher||Seizure-european Journal of Epilepsy|
|Subject Domain (in DDC)||Technology ♦ Medicine & health ♦ Surgery & related medical specialties|
|Subject Domain (in MeSH)||Nervous System Diseases ♦ Diseases ♦ Surgical Procedures, Operative ♦ Analytical, Diagnostic and Therapeutic Techniques and Equipment|
|Abstract||Purpose: The selection of ideal candidates for extratemporal resective epilepsy surgery is a challenge in resource-poor countries because of the limited presurgical diagnostic facilities and their affordability. To audit the presurgical evaluation strategy and selection for extratemporal resective epilepsy surgery in a resource-poor region.Methods: From the prospective database maintained at an epilepsy surgery center in southern India, we reviewed the data of consecutive patients who underwent presurgical evaluation from January 2005 through December 2008 for antiepileptic drug-resistant focal epilepsies emanating from the frontal, parietal and occipital lobes. Out of 285 patients, only 71 (24.9%) underwent resective surgery; the remaining 214 (75.1%) patients could not be selected for surgery. We inquired the reasons for their exclusion from surgery.Results: The difference in the rates of seizure-free outcome between surgical and non-surgical groups was highly significant (73.2% vs. 7.7%, P < 0.0005). The major reasons for exclusion from surgery were normal MRI in 107 (50%), inability to afford invasive EEG monitoring in 40 (18.7%) and lesion location adjacent to eloquent cortical areas in 27 (12.6%) patients. While clustering of seizures and presence of preoperative neurological deficits favored surgical selection, the presence of secondary generalized seizures and discordant interictal epileptiform abnormalities were associated with exclusion from surgery.Conclusions: We conclude that, in a resource-poor country, ideal candidates for extratemporal resective epilepsy surgery are those with well-circumscribed lesions not adjoining eloquent cortical areas. In such patients, concordant EEG findings and absence of preoperative secondary generalized seizures reinforce selection for surgery. (C) 2012 British Epilepsy Association. Published by Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.|
|Education Level||UG and PG|
|Learning Resource Type||Article|
|Educational Framework||Medical Council of India (MCI)|
|Journal||SEIZURE-EUROPEAN JOURNAL OF EPILEPSY|
Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD) under its National Mission on Education through Information and Communication Technology (NMEICT) has initiated the National Digital Library of India (NDLI) project to develop a framework of virtual repository of learning resources with a single-window search facility. Filtered and federated searching is employed to facilitate focused searching so that learners can find out the right resource with least effort and in minimum time. NDLI is designed to hold content of any language and provides interface support for leading vernacular languages, (currently Hindi, Bengali and several other languages are available). It is designed to provide support for all academic levels including researchers and life-long learners, all disciplines, all popular forms of access devices and differently-abled learners. It is being developed to help students to prepare for entrance and competitive examinations, to enable people to learn and prepare from best practices from all over the world and to facilitate researchers to perform inter-linked exploration from multiple sources. It is being developed at Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur.
NDLI is a conglomeration of freely available or institutionally contributed or donated or publisher managed contents. Almost all these contents are hosted and accessed from respective sources. The responsibility for authenticity, relevance, completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability of these contents rests with the respective organization and NDLI has no responsibility or liability for these. Every effort is made to keep the NDLI portal up and running smoothly unless there are some unavoidable technical issues.
Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), through its National Mission on Education through Information and Communication Technology (NMEICT), has sponsored and funded the National Digital Library of India (NDLI) project.
For any issue or feedback, please write to email@example.com