|Author||Hoffman, M. M.|
|Source||United States Department of Energy Office of Scientific and Technical Information|
|Subject Keyword||PHYSICS ♦ ANGULAR DISTRIBUTION ♦ ANGULAR MOMENTUM ♦ BINDING ENERGY ♦ ELECTRIC FIELDS ♦ EMISSION ♦ FISSION ♦ FISSION PRODUCTS ♦ GAMMA RADIATION ♦ MEASURED VALUES ♦ MOMENTUM ♦ MOTION ♦ NUCLEAR MODELS ♦ NUMERICALS ♦ PLUTONIUM 239 ♦ QUADRUPOLES ♦ ROTATION ♦ THERMAL NEUTRONS ♦ TRANSIENTS ♦ URANIUM 233 ♦ URANIUM 235|
|Abstract||Prompt fission gamma -ray intensity as a function of the angle from the fragment direction was measured for the thermal neutron fission of U/sup 233/, U/ sup 235/, and Pu/sup 239/. For each of these three nuclides, the fission gamma rays were found to be emitted preferentially in the direction of fragment motion by as much as 15%. It was found that the experimental data were best fitted by assuming that gamma rays emitted by fission fragments have two components with different angular distributions. One component, accounting for about 85% of the gamma rays, was isotropic about the fission fragment direction. The remaining 15% had the angular distribution of gamma rays from quadrupole transitions of nuclei having approximately 7 units of angular momentum distributed in, or near a plane perpendicular to the direction of fragment motion. A calculation of the torque resulting from electrostatic forces between the fission fragments is discussed. Results of this calculation indicate that these electrostatic forces could give rise to the fragment rotations indicated by the gamma - ray measurements. (auth)|
|Learning Resource Type||Article|
|Publisher Department||Los Alamos Scientific Lab., N. Mex.|
|Organization||Los Alamos Scientific Lab., N. Mex.|
Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD) under its National Mission on Education through Information and Communication Technology (NMEICT) has initiated the National Digital Library of India (NDLI) project to develop a framework of virtual repository of learning resources with a single-window search facility. Filtered and federated searching is employed to facilitate focused searching so that learners can find out the right resource with least effort and in minimum time. NDLI is designed to hold content of any language and provides interface support for leading vernacular languages, (currently Hindi, Bengali and several other languages are available). It is designed to provide support for all academic levels including researchers and life-long learners, all disciplines, all popular forms of access devices and differently-abled learners. It is being developed to help students to prepare for entrance and competitive examinations, to enable people to learn and prepare from best practices from all over the world and to facilitate researchers to perform inter-linked exploration from multiple sources. It is being developed at Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur.
NDLI is a conglomeration of freely available or institutionally contributed or donated or publisher managed contents. Almost all these contents are hosted and accessed from respective sources. The responsibility for authenticity, relevance, completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability of these contents rests with the respective organization and NDLI has no responsibility or liability for these. Every effort is made to keep the NDLI portal up and running smoothly unless there are some unavoidable technical issues.
Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), through its National Mission on Education through Information and Communication Technology (NMEICT), has sponsored and funded the National Digital Library of India (NDLI) project.
For any issue or feedback, please write to email@example.com