|Author||Okada, Yuko ♦ Hosono, Mitsuharu ♦ Sasaki, Yasuyuki ♦ Hirai, Hidekazu ♦ Suehiro, Shigefumi|
|Publisher||The Editorial Committee of Annals of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery|
|Subject Keyword||infective endocarditis ♦ c-reactive protein ♦ valve replacement|
|Abstract||Purpose: This study aimed to determine if preoperative time course changes in serum C-reactive protein (CRP) levels can predict clinical outcome of surgical intervention for active infective endocarditis. Methods: Surgically treated patients (n = 109) with active infective endocarditis were reviewed retrospectively. We divided the patients into 2 subgroups according to preoperative transition of increasing or decreasing serum CRP levels, and performed a comparative study. The increasing CRP group included 29 patients and the decreasing CRP group included 80 patients. Results: There were more patients with methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus and New York Heart Association functional class IV in the increasing CRP group. Hospital mortality was signifi cantly higher in the increasing CRP group (34.5%) than that in the decreasing CRP group (5.0%) (p <0.05). In multivariate analysis, 3 signifi cant risk factors of surgical outcome were identifi ed: a tendency for increasing preoperative CRP levels (odds ratio [OR]: 18.15, 95% confi dence interval [CI]: 1.03-320.78), nosocomial infective endocarditis (OR: 18.73, 95% CI: 1.57-223.60), and dialysis (OR: 1025.46, 95% CI: 2.89-363587.12). Conclusion: The outcome of operations for patients with increasing preoperative CRP levels is poor. For treatment of active infective endocarditis, a better operative result is expected when preoperative CRP levels are decreasing.|
|Learning Resource Type||Article|
|Journal||Annals of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery(atcs)|
National Digital Library of India (NDLI) is a virtual repository of learning resources which is not just a repository with search/browse facilities but provides a host of services for the learner community. It is sponsored and mentored by Ministry of Education, Government of India, through its National Mission on Education through Information and Communication Technology (NMEICT). Filtered and federated searching is employed to facilitate focused searching so that learners can find the right resource with least effort and in minimum time. NDLI provides user group-specific services such as Examination Preparatory for School and College students and job aspirants. Services for Researchers and general learners are also provided. NDLI is designed to hold content of any language and provides interface support for 10 most widely used Indian languages. It is built to provide support for all academic levels including researchers and life-long learners, all disciplines, all popular forms of access devices and differently-abled learners. It is designed to enable people to learn and prepare from best practices from all over the world and to facilitate researchers to perform inter-linked exploration from multiple sources. It is developed, operated and maintained from Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur.
NDLI is a conglomeration of freely available or institutionally contributed or donated or publisher managed contents. Almost all these contents are hosted and accessed from respective sources. The responsibility for authenticity, relevance, completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability of these contents rests with the respective organization and NDLI has no responsibility or liability for these. Every effort is made to keep the NDLI portal up and running smoothly unless there are some unavoidable technical issues.
Ministry of Education, through its National Mission on Education through Information and Communication Technology (NMEICT), has sponsored and funded the National Digital Library of India (NDLI) project.
For any issue or feedback, please write to email@example.com